Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kitchen Makeover (it's AMAZING what a little paint can do)

Okay, so I'm off to a great start already.  2 posts in 2 days.  Mom would be proud. 

So lately I've been hating my kitchen.  While surfing Pinterest I recently came across a tutorial for painting kitchen cupboards.  The kitchen looked somewhat like mine so I decided I would take the plunge.  It's only paint right :)  So after LOTS and LOTS of comparing ideas and techniques, I set off to my local Benjamin Moore store.  Most people who have painted cupboards used their brand of paint, so I guessed it was a good place to start.  The lady working was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  She told me I didn't even have to sand in between coats as the paint was THAT good :)  (I did anyway because I'm a bit of a perfectionist) 
Here's the paint and primer and the colour we chose.  Just slightly off white called Classic Grey.

Here is a picture of out kitchen before. Not awful, but just okay for me.  I needed a change.

The next step was to take off the doors and set up for painting.  This was a really hard step for me because I HATE it when the cupboard doors get left open.  Seriously, how hard is it to close it after you are done.  Is it that hard to open again if you need something else later?  Sorry, just a pet peeve :)
Here is how it looked for 3 LONG days :) Man, I didn't realize how much tupperware I had.
Guess the hubby was right (shh, don't tell him)

Don't mind the clutter, although I'm sure yours would look the same if you took off all your doors.
Next step was to wash with a degreaser and elbow grease all the cupboards and frames and basically anything made of wood.  The primer works really good, but if you paint over a food blob it will probably be there forever.
We had the room to paint the cupboard doors in the garage, but the weather has been cooperating lately if you needed to do it outside, after about 2 hours they were dry to touch you could bring them inside and leave them inside overnight as long as no one touches them or walks on them (like a dog or cat) :)

Spencer was always willing to help which is why I started painting after the kids went to bed.


I only did 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint on the inside of the cupboards.  I really didn't think it made that much difference in the end and was happy that they were done and up that much sooner. I bet you wouldn't have even known if I didn't tell you.

AWESOME new kitchen!!!

I think I'll have to make some new curtains.

All in all it was a fairly easy project to do, I just had to wait the alotted time, I didn't want to rush the paint job so the waiting was the hardest part for me. That and keeping the dog out of the garbage for 3 days.

Hereis a little comparison one more time.

If you have any questions about any of the steps I did or if you decide to try to paint your own cupboards send me an email or some pictures. I'd love to see your new kitchen too.

Happy Crafting
Ginny

7 comments:

  1. Holy crap does it ever look awesome!!!!! Great job Ginny!!!

    Please, next can you share how to make my own laundry detergent?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making a new batch soon, so I'll try to remember to take some pictures along the way :)

      Delete
  2. Did you repaint the color of your wall or does the different contrast make the color look that much different??? I am wanting to paint my kitchen cupboards white also, and my wall color is VERY similar to your before picture color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't paint the wall colour, it changed when we painted the cupboards. I really like the look of the walls even more now. Very clean and crisp. You won't regret the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is awesome. I am really excited to do this! We are on vacation next week, so that is when we are gonna paint them. My cupboards now are about the same shade as yours were also, so I'm curious to see the finished result!

      Delete
  4. Did you have to sand the cupboards? We are looking at painting our cabinets that are stained but do not want to sand them first.

    ReplyDelete